Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Pondering purchase

Interceptor, SP, FF

by GT6Steve » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Greetings,

I'm pondering a I3 on Ebay. A Canadian offering.

I'm familiar with British cars and know my way around the 440 motor but I question the cooling capacity on these cars. Do they adequate radiator for the desert days or will I have yet another Winter Queen? I'm in Las Vegas in the Mojave desert and two of my Jags just won't handle the heat. I don't want another limited offering.

Any thoughts or advice to a potential member?

Regards, Steve
GT6Steve

by Interceptor3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:11 am

Hi Steve,

Does the car have the louvered bonnet? This was added to help aid cooling of the 440 cars. My dad's is an early 440 car and has the plain bonnet, but in the cooler climate here it is not so bad. Even less of a problem considering the car has sat for 21 years half pulled apart...

At the very least ensure the cooling system is working as it should, the thermostats are correctly working and the thermofans are good. You can upgrade the fans and I believe put a bigger radiator in, others will have more of an idea about this though.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Rap72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 am

steve

there is a great deal of talk on the UK Jensen Owner's Club forum about unwanted heat. However, I suggest you don't read that thread as it is a catchall.
http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php - it has a search button.
On my Mk1 I have had engine and gearbox coolers added, new larger fans and a delta controller added.
see http://web.me.com/stevehickey/Intercept ... _3492.html

steve
Rap72

by GT6Steve » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:34 am

Thanx guys,

The overheating threat is a deal breaker here in the Mojave. I've loved this car for thirty years and never even fantasized about owning one but I can't have another primadonna.
GT6Steve

by Rap72 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 pm

steve

dont dismiss owning one. OK I am in the UK, currently 0 degrees C, but there are guys on this Forum in Western Australia where it gets pretty hot and others in the USofA who live in California/Las Vegas who run these cars. I am sure that a well sorted car with a few reasonable upgrades will do you just fine. After all you are in the home of the 383/440 big engine.

steve
Rap72

by dinofritz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Steve,

A well sorted Interceptor can be run comfortably in warmer weather - okay, I fully restored mine, but I have personally run it for 2 hours (with airconditioning on) on a mix of city and suburban stop-start driving on a 43C (109F) day, with the car only starting to approach 3/4 temperature in the last 15 mins or so. Just make sure that you have an improved radiator (yes, mine doesn't even have a louvred bonnet) and sound heatproofing in the engine bay and footwells (very important, I drove an unrestored car with virtually no heatproofing in the engine bay or footwells for an hour in 40C - 103F, and had to take my leather shoes off in the last 10 mins as I felt that my toes were beginning to burn)!

Al the best,

Dino
dinofritz

by GT6Steve » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:19 am

Thanx guys, I mange my E Types and Triumphs in the summer heat so it's good to hear the Interceptor can be made to cope. I think we pay more attention to the cooling here in the desert than most people do.

Thaks for the input and I'll let you know what happens.

Steve
GT6Steve

by Julian » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 am

Bigger radiator, decent fans correctly wired to run when required through relays, correct radiator caps and thermostat, ideally aluminium heads but most of all I think the proper (big) water channels in the gasket/head rather than the latter constricted version are the key (per the monday club) and bobs your uncle !
Julian

Return to Interceptor