Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Front seat belt

Interceptor, SP, FF

by Interceptor3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 am

Has anyone had any grief from their local registration inspection station when trying to re-register a car, with regards to the pathetic design of the front seat belts in the Interceptor? Do they still accept just sitting the belt over the top of the seat, with no B-pillar mount whatsoever?

Even if this does get accepted, has anyone fitted any upper mount for the belt, as how they are standard, at least in my car and every Interceptor I have seen, is kind of dangerous looking.

I have seen photos of a car that seemed to have some sort of loop on an arm that appeared to come from the headrest. Whilst probably not overly strong, it would at least keep the seatbelt in the correct position.

Appreciate any ideas on this one.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by dinofritz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Nigel,

I know that Interceptors weren't the only car that had the seatbelt top anchor point below the shoulder point (other convertables of the era like the Alfa Spider had something similar). And I recall Interceptor photo of some loop on a seat, although I remember 2 versions, one was like a metal bracket from the headrest stem (didn't look too strong), the other was some sort of bracket on the side of the seat where you hooked the seat belt into.

I also recalled seeing someone mounting an upper fixing point from the side roof, with a seat belt extension around 20cms long holding a buckle for the upper seat belt. Seemed to be the safest option in my opinion.

I just did a quick google search on "seat belt anchor below", and the first hit was the Australian Design Rule on Seat Belt Anchorage Points, so this may help. I guess that as long as your car meets the ADR's of the time, then I can't really see the authorities give you grief.

BTW, do you really have to go to the inspection station to re-register the car? When I got mine back on the road after 10 years, the authorities were able to look up the past history of my car (going back through the registered plates), and asked if had changed any of the information (e.g. engine, etc) that would require them to inspect the car (I hadn't), then I just filled out the paperwork. I too was told that I had to get the car inspected, but going into the then Transport SA with all my documents sure surprised me!

All the best, Dino
dinofritz

by Interceptor3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Dino,

Thanks for that information. I had a Hillman Imp GT that had a seatbelt anchor point added to its b-pillar - someone put a bolt through the pillar, with the nut on the outside of the car. Nice look! Not to mention the fact that the pillar is not structural and would just snap out in an impact...

Yes we will need to put the car over the pits once it is ready to get it re registered, full inspection. I expect the contemparary ADR for 1972 will apply, had a similar situation with the rear seat in my VW. If you bring a car from interstate to Tasmania or put it on the road again, they inspect it for all the usual wear and tear, numbers and so on.

Cheers,
Nige.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Julian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm

The last few cars (including mine) came with a leather covered loop that fixed to the side of the seat. I hHave seen them for sale once on EBAY for big bucks. The other issue trying to "upgrade" this way is that the seat needs to have the nuts on the inside for it to screw into ... obviously they are not present except on the factory fitted ones ....

if you want a photo let me know.

Have also seen some other that made a nice stainless loop that from memory simply fitted on the headrest stand. Search the JOC forum. It is probably the best option in my opinion. cheers
Julian

by Silva Jenne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm

I have seat belts fitted by an approved fitter. Both front and back. Still one to go on drivers side. It will be done when I get her back from Nick.
Silva Jenne

Return to Interceptor