Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Interceptor ignition barrel

Interceptor, SP, FF

by Interceptor3 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:12 am

My car's ignition barrel is stuffed. I can not get the key into it. I need to get it out to get it to a locksmith for a rebuild as mobile locksmith callout fees are horrendous.

Is there a way to get the mechanism off without either removing the entire steering column, and/or breaking the steering lock?
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Rap72 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

Rap72

by Interceptor3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:42 am

Exactly what I want. Thank you for the link, will keep an eye on that one. Have to work out how to get the old one off...
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by GlennB » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Nigel. I know that this is a very old thread, but I have just experienced the exact same issue with my Interceptor. We have had it on the road for a couple of months and has been performing really well. We parked it in a shopping centre underground car park on the weekend, came out and could not get the key into the ignition barrel! I finally managed to coax the tumblers back in with the point of a test light (don't leave home without it!!) and am going to replace the barrel and key. K and D have new barrels available for a reasonable price. I was wondering how you went about rectifying the key issue with your car and whether removing the barrel was an easy task?
Best Regards, Glenn
GlennB

by Interceptor3 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:35 pm

The swap was done by the workshop that put my car back on the road, I don't think it was an overly hard thing to get the old one out. I bought a new barrel from K&D also, however this would not fit the dress ring of the original. The locksmith ended up taking the new pin mechanism and putting it inside the original part somehow. He said he had no guarantee it would work but it did. Just beware that the K&D part may not be a direct replacement. I guess being the handmade car that it is, there is variances in the parts used maybe?
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
Interceptor3
Site Admin

Return to Interceptor