Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Battery

Interceptor, SP, FF

by stephenw » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 pm

I'm looking to replace my battery, does anyone know what the stock battery Ah rating should be or what is the max Ah rating battery anyone has installed with a stock alternator. Physical size is important so any suggestions. Century , Exide, , SSB, Yuasa, Duracell.
Int mk2
Steve
stephenw

by Paulio » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:12 am

Optima are the ducks guts but you pay through the nose for them.
Paulio

by stephenw » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:47 pm

I looked at those but even they are not as expensive as Odyssey Extreme which brag pure lead in the plate construction. The main problem is the battery not having enough charge after a month to turn the car over through lack of use, and subsequent charge. SSB make a marine sort of hybrid which has the cold cranking current but are supposed to have the characteristics of a battery supplying continuous high loads also. I can get a Century at around $200 720 CCA or another Super Start Battery CCA 760 AT $185. or just spend the money on an high torque starter. Then i have to ship from UK doh
stephenw

by dinofritz » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 am

Hi Steve,

After having issues with several brands, I've settled on the Caterpillar batteries. They fit the battery tray on the Mk III's, and also fit the factory heat shroud which was a bonus too. The batteries are a little taller than standard batteries, but still manage to clear everything, and as a result of the extra height, they're rated a little higher than standard lead acid batteries for CCA (always important when starting a car), but have around the same Ah ratings. From memory, around 650 CCA, around 97 mins Ah

The first few that I used weren't the sealed type, and they used to sell you the battery and the acid separately (you didn't buy one lying around your auto electrician which was already 6 months old), but now they have a fully sealed type which seems to be okay. Price is okay for around $150, with a 5 year pro rata warranty which I have use a few times and they stick buy it. Brought a trickle charger from Jaycar last year, and the car is ready anytime.

I've wondered whether to get a gel battery, but at around 2.5x the money for 2.5x the life, I can't seem to justify it?

Cheers, Dino
dinofritz

Return to Interceptor