Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Engine/transmission conversions

Interceptor, SP, FF

by Interceptor3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:21 am

Just read Tony’s column in The Interceptor about fitting alternative motor/gearbox setups into Interceptors. A Commodore (cringe) transplant is such a good idea, and one that I have long been considering as my car has been sitting inactive in its shed. I wonder how hard such a transplant would be. What we need is someone with the engineering skills to market a conversion kit with cross members, mounts, wiring loom patches and the like — so one could buy ones own engine and gearbox and the kit and fit it up.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Peter Jackson » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I too have been looking at engine conversions but not a (choke choke) Chev or Holden. Like the sound of a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi Chrysler and 5 speed auto but pretty pricey here in Aussie. You would need engine and trans computers and full wiring harness and all the sensors and then there is the ABS and on and on it goes. You will also need engine and trans mounts EFI fuel pumps, return lines to the tank etc etc. Somewhat of a daunting project but definitely possible.
As an alternative I have selected a good old 360 cube small block Chrysler as used in the series 4 Interceptor. I have had the block bored 60 over and fitted a Mopar 4" stroker crankshaft, H beam conrods and forged dish top pistons for a streetable compression of 9.5 :1. The small block now displaces 414 cubic inches and is much much lighter than a 383/440. I have fitted Indy alloy cylinder heads to allow the beastie to breathe and have set the engine up for EFI with an early model Motec control box. The guru's at Indy heads who supplied all the components suggest that if I can get the EFI somewhere near right I should have 500 plus streetable horsepower. More power and less weight, sound good to me. Added bonus when using a small block engine is that the 518 Torqueflite will bolt right up. What is a 518 you ask. Well Chrysler had the best 2 auto gearboxes going with the little 904 and big brother 727 Torqueflites but got a little left behind when GM and Ford went with 4 speed auto's with overdrive. Enter the 518 which is essentially a 727 with a 0.69:1 overdrive unit added to it. Sad fact is that the 518 was only ever produced with a small block bell housing pattern so will not fit behind a 383/440 big block without an adapter kit(which are available ex USA as a matter of interest). So more power less weight and overdrive to boot. Its gotta be good.
Currently the motor is on the engine stand 80% built and the 518 auto is sitting on the shed floor awaiting a freshen up and fitting of a shift kit and I have bought an exhaust header kit as it will obviously need custom pipes.
Will let you all know how it develops
Peter Jackson

by Interceptor3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 pm

That sounds awesome!
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Stoo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi all,

Very interested in how it all goes Peter. If successful, could be interested in pursuing 518's for both of my Interceptors.

Catchya at the rally.

Stoo
Stoo

1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk1 #3340
1970 Jensen Interceptor Mk2 #3958
1967 Jensen FF Mk1 #007
+ some other interesting toys!

Jensens are a way of life.
Stoo

by chrisl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:18 am

Try a Lotus 2.0L engine with a Supra trannie

(!)
Chris L
J-H Mk 1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, WA
('Can anyone smell petrol...?')
chrisl

by Iwantainterceptor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 am

Hi all, new here.
Just adding my 2 cents worth, there is an intresting artical for a 518 tranny and a 727 lockup tranny on the http://www.jensenmondayclub.co.uk/ site, its worth a looks see.
Iwantainterceptor

by Iwantainterceptor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 am

if its an engine trans swap your after, there are some nice new modern mopar hemi's fitted with carbs so you don't have to worry about computers, then you'll get the choice of modern bolt up autos. though most of the new tranny's are very large so there may be alot of cut to fit going on (note: these new style tranny's will need compputer of their own, but there are some nice after market ones out there now) you'll also get a lots of manual trans choices.

Mark
Iwantainterceptor

by Interceptor3 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Just found this place with a Toyota Supra R154 5MT conversion kit for Interceptor, seems to supply a lot but no pedal box. Not cheap, don't know if it would be any good.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by hemi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 pm

The money for that Supra 'box conversion in in Tremec TKO territory :o I doubt the Toyota 'box would last too long behind a 440 let alone trying to push the weight of an Interceptor. I haven't seen a photo of the pedals in a manual Interceptor, but it appears it would be tight around the toes. I've driven a De Tomaso Pantera and it was very cramped and pretty awful - you might get used to it, but I reckon it would take a while.

The Chev LS2/3 would be a great option, both in terms of power, reliability and cost. The LS series can have a carburetor manifold fitted (available) and an alternate ignition/trigger system to bypass the need for an EFI loom if you didn't want the elektrickery. Although bonnet clearance may be an issue with a Holley and air filter - maybe a pair of sidedraught Webers?? would be an option. The 4L80E or TH-700 would be a good option to follow it (as per the 'new' Interceptors).

Another advantage is the LS alloy construction which would be a big weight saving.

(Great forum, love it!)

Matt.
Interceptor II
123-3936
hemi

by Interceptor3 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 am

Peter Jackson wrote:I too have been looking at engine conversions but not a (choke choke) Chev or Holden. Like the sound of a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi Chrysler and 5 speed auto but pretty pricey here in Aussie. You would need engine and trans computers and full wiring harness and all the sensors and then there is the ABS and on and on it goes. You will also need engine and trans mounts EFI fuel pumps, return lines to the tank etc etc. Somewhat of a daunting project but definitely possible.
As an alternative I have selected a good old 360 cube small block Chrysler as used in the series 4 Interceptor. I have had the block bored 60 over and fitted a Mopar 4" stroker crankshaft, H beam conrods and forged dish top pistons for a streetable compression of 9.5 :1. The small block now displaces 414 cubic inches and is much much lighter than a 383/440. I have fitted Indy alloy cylinder heads to allow the beastie to breathe and have set the engine up for EFI with an early model Motec control box. The guru's at Indy heads who supplied all the components suggest that if I can get the EFI somewhere near right I should have 500 plus streetable horsepower. More power and less weight, sound good to me. Added bonus when using a small block engine is that the 518 Torqueflite will bolt right up. What is a 518 you ask. Well Chrysler had the best 2 auto gearboxes going with the little 904 and big brother 727 Torqueflites but got a little left behind when GM and Ford went with 4 speed auto's with overdrive. Enter the 518 which is essentially a 727 with a 0.69:1 overdrive unit added to it. Sad fact is that the 518 was only ever produced with a small block bell housing pattern so will not fit behind a 383/440 big block without an adapter kit(which are available ex USA as a matter of interest). So more power less weight and overdrive to boot. Its gotta be good.
Currently the motor is on the engine stand 80% built and the 518 auto is sitting on the shed floor awaiting a freshen up and fitting of a shift kit and I have bought an exhaust header kit as it will obviously need custom pipes.
Will let you all know how it develops

Hi Peter, how is this conversion coming along?

Pretty much given up on the idea of the 518 behind my 383 though a GM Turbo 700 is a possibility. That or rebuild my original 727 which is out of the car at the moment, and pony up for a Gear Vendors OD kit, which again is not cheap, and still requires tailshaft and transmission tunnel modification, but I guess it is still the easiest option?
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
Interceptor3
Site Admin

Next

Return to Interceptor