Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Living with an Interceptor in Aus

Interceptor, SP, FF

by andrewp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 am

Hi folks,

Great to see an Australian Interceptor forum. Hopefully things work out and I can in the future be one of the contributors.

Having spent the last 4 years a TR man, Im looking for something different. Ive always liked the Interceptor and was thinking seriously about taking the plunge.
After taking all the necessary steps to check bodywork etc (buyers guides are my latest bedtime reading), what is ownership of either a MkI, II or III like in Aus?

Ive been very fortunate having owned a TR, the parts availability is very good, locally (im in Perth, WA) and via the internet (eBay and companies like Moss, Rimmer Bros etc). Local clubs, fellow owners, garages etc also hugely contributed to what was (and still is) a great car and marque to own.

Whats available for the Interceptor in the way of the above? I've naturally done the obligatory Google search, but very little actually shows up.

I know its never easy owning a UK classic car over here in Aus, but I'm hoping the support and availability of info will be reasonable as they were officially imported. Am I dreaming?! :D

Anyway, any info, links, feedback and general 'make sure you check' sort of comments are very welcome. Id also love to hear from anyone in WA to have a chat with. Nothing beats local knowledge.

Cheers

Andrew
andrewp

by Interceptor3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:18 am

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

Parts supply is very good for most pieces. Lots of the mechanical stuff is generic yank iron (chrysler engine and gearbox) and most parts can still be bought, check out K&D Enterprises in the USA, Martin Robey in the UK, as well as Appleyards (who still have not finished their site).

Locally there is Ross Hockley in Sydney, another guy in Melbourne too but I have not had any experience with them. There is also a company over in NZ who advertise in the Jensen Car Club Australia magazine but I don't think they have a site either.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by sentimental journey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

I get parts from Andy at Appleyards in 4 days if needed.

Having an American engine makes life easy too.

I would say these are not the issues to worry about, finding any good tradesmen of any description in Australia is by far the biggest problem.

That goes for everything here, not just classic cars!

As said, Ross in Sydney and Phil in New Zealand are recommended.

And welcome Andrew!

Mark
sentimental journey

by andrewp » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks for the replies and the welcome,

Im with you Mark..finding a good craftsman is hard, the good ones are generally inundated as..well they are good. The 'others' tend to talk alot of hot air, umm and ahh alot and then try to gouge eye wateringly high prices for a mediocre job. As you say..its not just the classic car industry.
Its the reason I generally do most of all my own work on all my cars. The only thing I handed over to an expert was the TR gearbox and overdrive unit. Im sure, given the time and 'churchill' tools required, it can be done, but time vs $$ vs skill I got it done by someone else (and a very good job they did too!).
Anyway, good to hear that ownership isnt too painful here. As long as there are a few options, with some local knowledge, then Im getting more comfortable with owning one.
I`ll try to get in touch with the WA members in the next week or so as well. I still need to find a car thats in good nick and hopefully here in WA..else I`ll cast the net a bit further afield (anyone know if its easy to get a car from East to West?).

Thanks

Andrew
andrewp

by sentimental journey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 am

Hi Andrew

Everyone will tell you a local car is generally better as a UK car will be rusty. This is because it is a true statement. You will pay high prices for a car that is rust free from Europe at the moment.
Andy at Appleyards can find you a car, he is very helpful. I could help you with import advice as last year I bought a Jensen over (full of rust) from the UK.

If you speak to Stoo about cars, he knows most of the local ones. He's a treasure.

Mark

0402 313 767
sentimental journey

by Stoo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 am

Hi Andrew,
Flick me a message at 'jensencarclub@yahoo.com.au' and I will talk to you some more and see if I can help you in the search for a Jensen.

Thanks Mark for the kind words. Very appreciated.
Stoo

1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk1 #3340
1970 Jensen Interceptor Mk2 #3958
1967 Jensen FF Mk1 #007
+ some other interesting toys!

Jensens are a way of life.
Stoo

by andrewp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:11 am

Hi Stoo,

Just tried to email you on the address you supplied, but it bounced back. Is it the correct address?

Thanks

Andrew
andrewp

by Stoo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:56 am

Yep. It is right. Don't know why that happened.

Jensencarclub@yahoo.com.au
Stoo

1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk1 #3340
1970 Jensen Interceptor Mk2 #3958
1967 Jensen FF Mk1 #007
+ some other interesting toys!

Jensens are a way of life.
Stoo

by andrewp » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:51 am

The search continues.

Thanks very much to Stoo who sent me through the list of Jensens for sale. Unfortunately not many for sale in WA, so a trip over East may be in order to have a look at some point. From what I can gather I should factor in around $2K to ship a car from East to West. Im not brave enough to drive it back :lol:
Im going to look at a MkIII tonight in Perth, that has had its engine and g/box removed (as well as other bits), so I will have an objective look and if its priced accordingly, then it could be a plan X, Y and Z option (there could be sooo many things wrong that it turns into a money pit). My preference for any potential car is to drive, look over and make a decision based on everything as it is.
I've also contacted Chris and Colin (WA owners club) who've been very helpful in answering questions. They've re-inforced that as long as Im in no rush, wait for the right one to come along.

Anyway..thanks for the info so far folks. I`ll post any info as and when it happens.

Andrew
andrewp

Return to Interceptor