Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

1972 Series III - 4397

by dgmurray » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:49 am

stephenw wrote:Hi Duncan
What would the IRS give you ride and handling etc that the original setup doesn't. Which carby have you used, I'm thinking of returning a lpg to petrol myself
Steve

Hi

I'm hoping the IRS will give a firm ride combined with better sticking on the corners. In it's original form this Interceptor and I did have some issues with corners. Partly because I was younger and stupider, but also partly because of the somewhat primitive rear suspension!

Fuel is now delivered via an MSD EFI system. I'll let you know how that works out.
Duncan Murray

1972 Jensen Interceptor III
...and the odd parts car

Brisbane, Queensland
dgmurray

by Interceptor3 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:24 pm

Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by stephenw » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:36 am

Coming on a blinder, nice upholstery. What coating did you give the interior body work ? did the underside get the same.
Steve
stephenw

by dgmurray » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:23 am

stephenw wrote:Coming on a blinder, nice upholstery. What coating did you give the interior body work ? did the underside get the same.
Steve

A rather boring approach to the non-shiny paintwork: just mat black 2 pack. Then lots of Dynamat to all areas, including a plain black product to the engine bay. The guys certainly had a lot of "fun" removing the original coverings and coatings. A lot of good old fashioned scraping was involved!

I'll put up some under body pics when she's up on the hoist after getting an exhaust system.

The basic black approach will even include the new petrol tank - which my kids think a shame as it's so nice and shiny at the moment:

Duncan Murray

...and the odd parts car

Brisbane, Queensland
dgmurray

by dgmurray » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:32 am

Dash is getting there...
- dash repaired and recovered
- all gauges disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. I'll try for warm white LED lighting, as we all know how much fun it is to change lightbulbs.

Thank you ebay for the NOS clock!

I'm going to experiment with some after market switch gear (farewell trusty Lucas rocker switches). Watch this space...
Duncan Murray

...and the odd parts car

Brisbane, Queensland
dgmurray

by johnrward121 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:18 am

Hi Duncan, how is the project going? Very interested in how you got on with the Heidt IRS and your thoughts re their set up?
johnrward121

by Donkervliet » Sun May 01, 2016 9:04 am

Hi Duncan,
I found you while searching for people who are crazy enough to get an IRS on their Interceptor..!
(there are not many though...)
Love what you are doing and I'm absolutely on the 'same track' here..
Can't wait to hear your findings about the IRS!!
I have a donor car (besides a finished '72 Interceptor -5686..) and am trying to decide what can be the best IRS option. Was also thinking about Art Morrison IRS; did you ever consider that??
Am extremely interested on how you hook up your Heidts!!
Can't wait to read/see it on the forum..
Good luck with everything,
Marcel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Donkervliet

by dgmurray » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

Just a brief note to reassure any readers that there is still progress. Just slow! She's ready to fire up any day now. Really. Updates and photos will follow.
Duncan Murray

...and the odd parts car

Brisbane, Queensland
dgmurray

by hemi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks for the update Duncan - plenty of keen observers....

Matt
Interceptor II
123-3936
hemi

by jacb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 am

dgmurray wrote:Just a brief note to reassure any readers that there is still progress. Just slow! She's ready to fire up any day now. Really. Updates and photos will follow.

Hi Duncan

Any chance of an update .... really would like to know how that IRS worked out for you. Were you able to get the exhaust routed to the rear etc etc
jacb

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration Projects