Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Interceptor radio choice

Any general discussion goes here.

by Paulio » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm pondering what radio to put into the MKII, I love the Becker retro 7948 but it is apparently made of rocking horse poo and hens teeth. There are other retro radios on ebay but they tend to look a bit "cheap". I see on ebay UK there's a company called Chromelondon that do refurbished original Becker Mexico and Europa, but again pricey.
Whats was original in the Interceptors? I see 8 tracks being bandied about but there must have been other choices out there at the time.
I have a nice Alpine MP3 unit to go in but ...... you know how it goes, something that suits the era/dash even if it is only in looks with modern internals is far more appealing.
A penny for your thoughts guys.
Paulio

by Interceptor3 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 pm

The RetroSound Model 2 is pretty hard to go past really. Old style narrow panel with big push buttons, two (adjustable) knobs either side, no CD slots or anything. Optional sticker with old fashioned radio dial to go over the screen. AM/FM radio, bluetooth audio/phone, external phone microphone (I have mine clipped to the sun visor arm, with the cord running under the a-pillar trim - easy - and a couple of USB ports on cords that you can route to your glove box. Easy to fit and requires no modification to the console, as long as you have not already had it cut for a DIN sized head unit. There are a range of faceplates and knobs available too. The colour of the LED display (it is a basic screen that doesn't do fancy text, just like a digital watch if you know what I mean) can be adjusted to pretty much any colour, so you can set it to a similar white to the rest of your dash lighting, or the same colour as your car or however you like it. I have mine set to red to match the paint.
Pretty cheap, I paid $275 for mine I think, from Pentastar Performance who are Australian distributors (They did have a sale at the time and I had a promo voucher for a little discount from previous purchases).
Only issue I have is that on mine and Adam's (Adam has Mk1 Interceptor here in Hobart), the split shafts on the potentiometers for the knobs are a little too small for the size of the hole in the back knobs (each pot has a front and back knob) so it moved around a little. To fix I just spread the split out a little with a screw driver, and that fixed it right up. I did have some electrical tape around it but I am sure I have removed it as it kind of interfered with the operation of the knob.
The bluetooth audio can be a little noisy on mine, I thought it faulty (had never had bluetooth audio before) but it is the same on my Adam's. Not sure if it is electrical interference or what. You don't notice it when driving though, it is only when you are sitting in the garage at midnight working on the car and everything is super quiet and there is no music playing through it.
Pretty hard to go past though really.
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by ngruzevs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:10 pm

BTW, I'm a newbie to the forum, so thought I would also provide a view on the Model 2, as I've just installed it in my MK2. I can't provide too much feedback (as I installed it on Sunday) on the ease of use, but bluetooth pairing and audio streaming was an easy task on an iPhone 5S. I'm very impressed the way it blends in and almost looks period. I went with the black outer knobs and chrome inner. I didn't need to modify the existing hole too much as can be seen from the before and after shots

Next job is the speaker replacement, I'm upgrading to Pioneer 5 1/4, 3 way speakers, one speaker completed so far.

Current Garage
1971 MK2 Jensen Interceptor 123/4116
1985 W126 280SE
1988 W126 300SE
2013 MK7 Golf GTI
ngruzevs

by Interceptor3 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Model 2 is a good good thing.

How are you going with those speakers? Do you have enough clearance behind them for the window motor?
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by ngruzevs » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Speakers have been an issue, as the originals are well worn. After some research it came down to the 5 1/4 Pioneer vs. Kicker, the magnet on the Kickers is larger (higher), so would have likely hit the top of the motor. Testing with the door card on it's a snug fit, but all fits. The gap is tiny between rear of speaker and motor (1-2mm). I haven't looked at the rears yet, not sure if there's any less or more room :!:
Current Garage
1985 W126 280SE
1988 W126 300SE
2013 MK7 Golf GTI
ngruzevs

by Paulio » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:31 am

Nice work! Will look out for a follow up review from you when the dust has settled.
Paulio

by ngruzevs » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:09 am

Current Garage
1985 W126 280SE
1988 W126 300SE
2013 MK7 Golf GTI
ngruzevs

Return to General Discussion