Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

Camshafts

Get your motor running...

by Paulio » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Ok so I've pulled the 383 down and it's off getting hot tanked and honed, the crank linished, new cam bearings fitted etc but the camshaft has rust on some of the lobes, my machinist recommends buying a new one as it's not worth the effort/money fixing the old one.
Now my engines been done before so I don't think the camshaft is original with Heatseeker d182 imprinted on the end - company from Queensland now closed. Can't find any details so what do I replace it with??
Happy to go mild streetish sort of cam but who has any different to stock in? and what? and no I do not want to go roller rocker set up as I don't intend to build a street/strip monster.
Cheers for any input.
Paul
Paulio

by Interceptor3 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Can't help with the camshaft, but wondering what you're doing for heads, intake manifold etc?
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Paulio » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 am

Hi Nigel,
I'm keeping the heads same as, after a going over of course, the engine came with stainless headers so they will stay as well. Once I start working on bits I shall bang up a few picks in the resto section as I've stripped most of the car down to metal and put black etch primer down to hold it whilst proceedings occur.
As for the camshaft I've got on to a stage 2 brand new for $130, should fit the bill and not as lumpy as the one i have. Intake manifold, I have the original but if i can stretch for an edelbrock performer i will. I have two carbies, a 600 holley double pumper and the original carter both in need of rebuilds but the idea of going to Fitech injection really interests me and seems to make sense.....
Paulio

Return to Mechanical