Australian Jensen Forums

For owners of Jensen Cars from Australia and around the world.

JCCA Annual Rally - Yarra Valley

by hemi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:17 am

Here’s my summary of my attendance at the annual rally for the Jensen Car Club of Australia held at the Yarra Lodge in the Yarra Valley, Victoria. I’m not only posting this for general interest, but also to encourage as many as possible to get involved in the club and the events, both on a State and National level.

Having only purchased my car in December 2013, it only needed rego and a check over for the trip. I have done about 200k’s prior to leaving and was generally happy with it. The only exemption was the oil (bath) filter element. I had left it too late to get one shipped from overseas and was quoted over $80 for one through a well known parts supplier – others told me they’re not available anymore (what crap!). Anyway, I had a remote spin on adaptor lying around and fitted that with a new filter and oil, and after checking wheel bearing play, greasing nipples and various other bits, all looked good.

As an insurance policy, and to keep the peace, my wife/family followed in another car with luggage and we set off about 11am on Wednesday (16/04) with plans to stay in Goulburn, Albury then the Yarra Lodge. It was an easy pace and usually I’d get in and do it in one go, but what’s the rush....

About 50k’s north of Goulburn, with the Chrysler soundtrack as sweet as ever, I smell oil. Hmmmm, must be that stinky truck in lane one. I check the mirror and there’s a smoke screen telling me I’ve either dropped a valve, or I’m doing the world’s biggest burnout. As chance would have it, an exit appears to a rarely used side road and I leave the imaginable comments from the passing freeway motorists as ‘an old car’ comes to a stop.

With the engine running I popped the bonnet and saw the high pressure oil line (to the filter) had failed and was giving the engine block a wash with fresh oil. It was barely a pin-hole but I’d say my playing with it to fit the new filter had upset it and caused it to spit the dummy. The wonders of modern technology (mobile phone) tell me there’s a hydraulic shop not far from me and with the insurance policy on its way with the failed hose, I pass the time with a few Jag’s (XK120) tooting and waving as they travel southbound on the freeway.

The only other issue was just out of Goulburn I notice the LPG is low-ish so I flicked over to petrol. It coughed and spluttered but ran okay until it did a Cliff Richard and stalled mid-round about on the freeway exit. Attempts to start on either fuel failed and again the insurance policy was called upon for a tow about 200 meters to the servo. A top up with LPG and the lump fired up and I was away – not before the same XK-120 had pulled alongside as I was undoing the tow rope. I don’t like Jags :evil: .

The rest of the trip was uneventful and we arrived at the lodge on a rainy Friday arvo to be met with an underground car park lined with Jensen’s and a smiling Richard Calver esq, with notepad in hand. Within about 10 minutes I had learnt quite a few things about the Mk2 and Jensen production anomalies. That conversation left me wanting to know more – and that’s the great thing about the club, the source of information, stories of restoration, rebuilds and breakdowns – and not an Anorak or rivet-counter in sight!

The rally itinerary was pretty comprehensive but allowed for variation due to the inclement weather and an understanding that many attendees had travelled a long way to be there and may appreciate a rest – some from Queensland. Here’s a few photos from the lunch spots – I realise I don’t have that many photos as I was probably gibbering too much to a great bunch of owners.
The photos don’t do the cars justice, and everyone commented on their quality.

So, next year is in Canberra but there’ll hopefully be a chance for a few gatherings in between. I realise this all may look like a promo for the Club, but I’ve been a member of other car clubs and they were a bit too serious for me, this one’s well organised, got a lot of easy going members and focussed on the brand, not just a particular type. Hope there’s a few more members in the midst and maybe a few local meets around the place.

All the best,

Matt
Last edited by hemi on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interceptor II
123-3936
hemi

by Interceptor3 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:06 am

Great writeup. Bit of drama, but you got out of it lightly compared to someone else...
Nigel Honey
Hobart, Tasmania
'72 Jensen Interceptor Mk3 128/4633
'08 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
Interceptor3
Site Admin

by Stoo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 am

Hmmm, it is absolutely disgusting the lengths some people go to to win an award :lol:

Owner of a multi-award winning Jensen Interceptor Mk1 #115/3340
2003 - Winner of the People's Choice Award at the National Jensen Rally
2009 - Winner of the Go-to-Whoa Award at the National Jensen Rally
2014 - Winner of the Hard Luck Award at the National Jensen Rally
Stoo

1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk1 #3340
1970 Jensen Interceptor Mk2 #3958
1967 Jensen FF Mk1 #007
+ some other interesting toys!

Jensens are a way of life.
Stoo

by sceptor 512 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:44 am

nice write up there matt.
looks like it was a good trip,lucky you took the back up car.
what a great turn out of cars, i didnt think that many would be there.
i'll get to a rally oneday.
Trev
interceptor 3
BA XR8
Bandit 1200
sceptor 512

by Stoo » Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 am

Love to catch up with you fellas. Next year is at Canberra and the 2016 rally will be hosted by yours truly in Coffs Harbour. I know that it will be a long way for the South Aussies to get to but I am going to promise you that it is going to be H-U-G-E!!!
Stoo

1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk1 #3340
1970 Jensen Interceptor Mk2 #3958
1967 Jensen FF Mk1 #007
+ some other interesting toys!

Jensens are a way of life.
Stoo

Return to Victoria